COVID-19 Safety Policies and Procedures for Dafna KG
We have developed the following Safe Operating Procedures based on the directives of the Ministry of Public Health and Ministry of Education and Higher Education- Qatar.
It is important that we adapt our everyday practices to ensure that we continue to offer the staff and children a safe environment at Dafna International School Kindergarten.
Hygiene and social distancing remain the two key elements of infection prevention and control. If any symptoms are displayed, families must be alert and self-isolate for the safety of everyone.
Everyone involved in the day to day operation of Dafna International Kindergarten receive appropriate instruction and training on how to operate under the terms of the Safe Operating Procedures.
We aim to work in partnership with parents and trust that everyone understands and follows these Safe Operating Procedures.
The key principles
- Any pupil, staff member, parent or visitor with coronavirus symptoms must not enter the Kindergarten and must isolate at home
- Increased cleaning processes in and out the building are in place, throughout and at the end of the day
- Children and the staff members maintain social distancing as far as possible
- Children will each day stay in key family groups (a bubble) with a buddy group working alongside to ensure continuity of staffing and children
- Children are dropped off and handed over to the school nurse at the school entrance.
- Parents will not come on site or visit the Kindergarten; this is explicitly arranged with the Principal e.g. in the event of a child being distressed.
- Wearing face masks are mandatory and the staff members wear masks throughout the school day.
- Parents are expected to wear a mask during drop off and pick up and even when meeting any school official.
- If a parent or a member of the same household tests positive for COVID-19 they will be required to provide a proof of clearance from a doctor prior to bringing the child to school, same protocols applies to school staff.
- Children and staff who attend our Kindergarten should not be displaying any coronavirus symptoms such as continuous cough, a high temperature or a loss of taste and smell.
- It is important that children do not attend DISK if unwell for their own wellbeing and for the safety of others. They are allowed to return when they are recovered completely.
- Anyone who is experiencing any symptoms cannot return to nursery until they have completed the required isolation period, in line with MoPH guidelines, and be symptom free or have achieved a negative test result (PCR) (we request evidence of this to be sent to the Kindergarten).
- Prompt exclusion is essential to preventing the spread of infection. Children and employees who are classed as clinically vulnerable should follow their own medical advice before attending Kindergarten.
- Children and staff members who expose any symptoms for flu or fever and if the Nurse deems the symptoms to be Covid-19 related, will be isolated immediately in the isolation room in the Kindergarten. They will stay under the supervision and care of the school nurse.
Temperature and symptom monitoring and cleanliness
- Upon entry the school nurse will use touchless thermometer to take the temperature of the children and staff. Forehead temperature of the children and staff must be less than 100°F/38°C to be admitted into the Kindergarten.
- Students are encouraged and reminded to frequently sanitize/wash their hands throughout the day e.g. on arrival, before and after mealtimes, etc.
- Parent’s visits are as brief as possible, and parents are discouraged to enter the facility.
- Hand sanitizers will be out of the reach of children, but near all entry doors, classrooms, and other high traffic areas.
- Ideally, the same parent should drop off and pick up the child every day. If possible, people with underlying medical conditions should not pick up children, because they are more at risk for severe illness from COVID-19.
- If a child needs a routine medical appointment we are asking parents that wherever possible this is booked on a non-school day or at the end of the child’s session. If this is unavoidable the child will be allowed to return to Kindergarten after the appointment, provided they are fit and well in themselves.
Teacher to Child Ratio & Small Group Size
- Same teacher and teacher assistant will remain with the children throughout the day even during breaks and lunches except for specialist subjects.
- School will try to accommodate children from same family in the same classroom.
- Furniture and children’s play area will be arranged to provide ample space.
- Children will remain in groups as small as possible not to exceed ratio and capacity requirements provided by the MoPH.
Social and Physical Distancing
- Limit the number of children per table to maintain separation during activities or meal/snack times.
- Limit the mixing of children, such as staggering playground times.
- There will be no assemblies, social gatherings, trips or extracurricular activities.
- Educate children about social distancing and give verbal reminders.
Outdoor Play Time
- Outdoor play activity will be staggered to reduce the number of children in the same area.
- Play area access is restricted to avoid close contact of the kids.
- Group size will be limited to group of 10 children at a time.
- More play time will be given to children, if the weather permitting.
- The slides and play structures will be out of use, more free play will be encouraged.
- More opportunities will be offered for individual play and solo activities.
- Frequently used surfaces will be cleaned as frequently as possible.