By professional development we mean an ongoing process of staff education and training taking place in school or outside school aimed at
• promoting the development of their professional knowledge and skills
• promoting values that enhance the vocation of the staff
• helping them to react proactively to change and
• enabling them to provide a quality education to our students.
Our ongoing professional development for teachers is designed to encourage them to be energetic and continuous learners throughout their professional life. We recognize that the quality of teaching depends on the opportunities the staff are given to access ways and means of improving their practice and responding effectively to the changing needs of their students and the whole community.
To achieve this the professional development of teachers is carried out in our school through
• reflection upon and improvement of classroom practice
• introduction to new educational issues
• onsite coaching and mentoring.
Professional Development must be
• regular and ongoing
• inclusive of all staff
• interesting and energizing
• varied in subject and methodology
• dependent upon teachers’ educational needs
• related to educational issues and concerns
• up to date and relevant.
Specific Professional Development sessions during the year
• On the first of two working days before the first day of school – whole day
• On the day before school restarts for the 2nd Semester – whole day
• On the last Saturday of every month for two to three hours / two sessions
Animators of the Sessions may be
- Kindergarten Principal
- lecturers from the Universities in Qatar
- experts in various fields e.g., Health & Safety, Information Technology, etc.
- educational practitioners e.g., Heads of Schools
- peers e.g., teachers.